Monday, December 27, 2010

Tom & Mel's Holiday Mix 2010

1. Bon Jovi : You Give Love A Bad Name - Sometimes you have to start with a song that gets the blood pumping....We have been watching a ton of How I Met Your Mother on dvd. Go to season 1's new years eve episode to see why this was put on here...

2. The Tallest Man On Earth: The Medicine and The Sparrow - Mel introduced me to the music of the Tallest Man On Earth and I've been listening to him for most of the year, this is one of my favorites.

3. Ryan Adams : Goodnight Rose - Recently I've rediscovered the awesomeness of Ryan Adams, this was going to be the opening track...until I decided to kick it up a notch with Bon Jovi. Still, this is a great song.

4. The Stiff Dylans : She's So Lovely - Mel has, for years been reading a series about a crazy (funny) girl named Georgia Nicolson (they are funny books) and not to long ago they made a movie about the first book called "Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging" (the books are set in England). The movie was really funny and this song was the played in the opening credits. A fun song that makes us smile.

5. Regina Spektor: Us - This song was on the soundtrack to "500 Days (Of Summer)" and I liked it the first time I heard it. For most of the year we have been going to the library and checking out stuff (Mel reads whole books, I check out graphic novels and other comic stuff) and the library also has dvds (OLD TWILIGHT ZONES !!) and cds you can check out. It was because of that I could get this song.

6. The Black Keys : Tighten Up - For years I've been telling people about The Black Keys...this year, the world started to listen.

7. The Foo Fighters : Band On The Run - I love me some Foo Fighters !! And on this cover song, they sound like they are having a great time !! Plus, its just fun to sing along to in the car.

8. Cee-Lo Green : Fuck You - One of my favorite songs of the year. When I heard the song title I thought it would be an awful song just meant to shock people. But this song was fun and fun to sing in the car. I must have played this song a hundred times since I downloaded it (Limewire, I miss you) Personally, didnt find the F you's offensive.

9. Dr. John : Down In New Orleans - This song, from the soundtrack to "The Princess & The Frog" is just too fun to leave off this mix. And if your going to pick someone to sing a song about New Orleans (where the movie is set) your not going to find anyone better than Dr. John. This movie, music and story, was good and I enjoyed it.

10. Cash Money Heroes : I Made it - This year, the team I rooted for my WHOLE life, The San Francisco Giants, won the World Series. And while they played Journey's "Dont Stop Believing" it was THIS song I thought of when they won. (" I look up to the sky and now the world is mine, I made it !! ") I esp. like the part when he says "I do it for the love of the game" and while he meant a different game, this song will remind me of my teams Championship season.

11. Kid Cudi : Embrace The Martian - Last year, there was a week or two when I really really was into Cudi. And then I wasn't. It was The Melanie who asked me "Have you heard 'Embrace The Martian' ? " She played it for me and I was a fan again.

12. William Fitzsimmons : Heartless - Many people tried to cover this Kanye West song...The Fitzsimmons did it better than everyone else.

13. Kanye West : Amazing - I loves me some Kanye !! And while most people are playing his new cd, this is off his VH1 Storytellers (that seemingly only Mel and I watched) cd/dvd combo. And it is AWESOME !! I like the song but its all the crazy nonsense he babbles about ( OJ Simpson shout outs, Misquoting The Dark Knight", etc ) that makes me love this song. Everyone reading this should see this special...it was hilarious, he says the dumbest crap and believes it with his whole hear ("I get my quotes from movies cause I dont read no books"). Oh, yeezy, how you constantly entertain me.

14. Ryan Adams: I See Monsters - I've always loved this song. I hope you will too.

15. Los Lobos : Not In Nottingham - A last minute addition to the mix. Mel thought we should add it and she was so right !! She got me a cd called "Los Lobos goes Disney" in which, you guessed it, the Lobos cover a few disney songs. Thankfully, they do a few from my favorite Disney movie, Robin Hood. This is a great song that for years, watching the movie, I thought, "why doesn't anyone cover this song? ". I would if I was a singer.

16. The Tallest Man On Earth: It Will Follow The Rain - Another great song by one of our favs...this was the first song Melanie played me of his and I liked it the first time I heard it.

17. Stevie Wonder : As - The year, when putting together a mix for Melanie's birthday I revisited this song. It's opening lines ("As around the sun the earth it keeps revolving. And the rosebuds know to bloom in early may. Just as hate knows loves the cure, you can rest your mind assured, that I'll be loving you always,") reminds me of how I feel about her.

18. David Bowie : Wild Is The Wind- Last years mix, I endeed with the Nina Simone version. A great song. And Bowie is Bowie. Few people are more awesome.


Thank you for listening to our mix.
Hope you enjoyed it.
Merry Christmas,
Tommy & Melanie

No comments: