Friday, November 12, 2010

Tom's Top 5 Awesome Things This Week...11-1-10

For the week of 11-1-10

This weeks Top 5, in all honesty, focuses on mostly two things...but, man, are they awesome !!

5. Disney's California Adventure- This week, after months of planning and more than a year or so of saving Melanie, Lori, Ashley and I went to the Magic Kingdom to celebrate the birthdays of Mel and I (though hers already happend and mine had yet to ). California Adventure is going under major changes...things are closed for remodel, new lands are being built. And in a few years it should look really different. Still, we managed to see all of our favorite things in that park. Alaadin stage show, tower of terror, Soarin over california...and a few new things. The World Of Color is the new nighttime show and, while not as awesome as Fantasmic, it was still cool to see. elecTRONica was a club (or a disney version of a futuristic club) with bright lights and music...based on the world of Tron....it was cool and made me want to see the original (to see what they hype is about) before the new one comes out...which I guess was the point of the club thing.

4. The Road Trip to La - All the road trip essentials were there : Snacks, good music, a few laughs and most of all...great people !!

3. Disney Christmas Day Parade - On our last day in the parks they were filming the Disney Christmas Day Parade...HOW AWESOME IS THAT !! We stood in line to see (Disney used the term "major celebs", I however will not go that far) Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Nick Cannon and Selena Gomez. By the time Selena Gomez came out we were in the front of the audience...so, I might be on camera cheering for her (god, hope that doesnt ruin what little "street cred" i might have. haha). It was a long wait but, to me, a once in a lifetime thing...to say we where there for the Disney Christmas parade...which I've been watching since I was a kid...was a cool treat.

2. Disneyland - For as long as I can remember, I've loved almost all things Disney. And Disneyland has to be one of my favorite places on earth. I was there with some great people and, best of all, the lines were not long (maybe 40 minutes was the most we waited...but walked right in to some major rides). We went on pretty much everything (literally) and got to ride all the things we were really hoping to ride...with one exception. Since I was 7 or 8 and rode it for the first time, Star Tours has been my favorite ride and a few months ago it closed (Star Tours II, coming 2011) and I was sad to see it go...LIGHTSPEED TO ENDOR !!..a great place, great people and (despite the high prices for everything) a really fun trip.

On any other week, in any other year, THIS would be number one....however, this week, history was made....

1. THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS WIN THE MOTHERFUCKING WORLD SERIES !!!!!!!!- I hoped, but worried I would never get to write this sentence. Without question, the greatest sports related moment in my lifetime.For as long as I can remember, I've rooted for the Giants. I can remember watching games (when I was about 7 or so) on tv with My Uncle Bobby and Papo (who told me about the game, who played what...how runs were scored...why the dodgers are bums...etc). When I was 9 my cousin Michael took me to my first game (Giants lost to Padres in that one...and had I known then it would be my only chance, thus far, to sit in a skybox...I wouldve opted to stay there instead of the nosebleeds where we sat. Haha). I remember my Dad watching the '89 world series (and the earthquake that came along with that game) and how he was rooting for both teams. My whole family has rooted for the Giants. And when that last strike was called and the Giants won the world series I thought of all the people who had passed away and never got to see this moment. But for a second, it felt like they were watching with me, cheering beside me. I know it might sound weird to put such a heavy spin on a game, but its what I was thinking as the world series came to a close. And actually watching the game with me were my two most favorite people in the world. My Mom and My Melly. And we cheered like crazy. I recieved over 100 text messages and more than a few calls from fellow friends and family (and friends who are family) sharing the excitement from the bars or parties or other places they were at...but sitting there, on my Mom's sofa (where I had watched so many games before), i had the perfect place to watch a moment I had waited my whole life to see...there was no better place to be, and nobody better to be with...it was a great moment and one I will never forget.

Now...lets win another next season....!!

So...that's it.

What's been awesome about your week?

No comments: